Stair Stringer Design Spreadsheet2 October 2021
Stair Stringer Design Spreadsheet
This worksheet is written in order to design uniformly loaded simple stair steel stringers in accordance with the AISC 13th Edition requirements – Section F. It can also be used as a check or to investigate an existing stringer steel section.
The design is based upon user selected limits on stringer depth and the allowable deflections. For those cases where it is necessary to verify a railing connection to the top of the stringer the user can define upper and lower limits on width of the stringer flange as well. Stringer types are limited to C channel, MC channel and rectangular tubes.
Based upon all of the user defined selection criteria in conjunction with the applied loads, a maximum of 16 selections are automatically made from the AISC steel shape database and are tabulated along with their relevant section properties.
The following apply
1. Channel stringers are assumed to be simply supported on each end and continuously laterally braced along their length by the stair pan.
2. All current ASTM A6 C, MC and tubes are compact
3. Stringers are assumed to be pinned top & bottom such that vertical loads are distributed equally to top & bottom supports.
1. The user defines the uniform loads as well as the allowable deflection criteria and the upper and lower bounds on stringer depth.
2. One can check an existing stringer section simply by inputing the appropriate limits on the section properties so they match the section on question. If the section shows up in the results table then it is an appropriate selection.